Take a look at this number (0824261490), can you believe that by the time you finish this article you will be able to memorize this 10 digits number easily as one image? You will also be able to use the same techniques to memorize other large or small numbers. The good thing is that once you use the following techniques the numbers stick in your mind better and therefore they're not easy to forget. These memory techniques called also Consonant System Mnemonic can be useful to memorize a social security number, phone numbers and even credit card numbers so that you don't have to run to your wallet to make an online purchase.
Here is the technique that is used by many people and considered to be a good method when dealing with numbers. Now imagine that all numbers are represented by consonants of the alphabet. Here is an example, the number 3215 could be equal to the word "mental", here is why:
· 0: s,z, c (soft)* (zero starts with z, and s sounds the closest to z).
· 1: t,d, th (t looks a little bit like 1, d and th sound very close to t).
· 2: n (2 looks like N on its side).
· 3: m (3 looks like m on its side).
· 4: r ("four" ends with r).
· 5: l (in Roman numerals, L = 50).
· 6: j,ch,sh, g (soft) (6 titled 180 degrees looks like g, sh ch, j, g (soft)* sound the same).
· 7: k,c (hard)** ,g (hard), q (K can be drawn with two 7's, c and g (hard)** sound like k).
· 8: f,v,ph (handwritten F looks like an 8, v and ph sound like f).
· 9: p,b (P reversed looks like a 9, b sounds like p).
* c soft = sounds like cinema, acid ...
** c hard = sounds like cold, computer ...
* g soft = sounds like gym, George ...
** g hard = sounds like game, golf ...
Now you may say, well if 3= M, 2= N, 1= T and 5= L, where did the "e" and "a" of "mental" come from? The vowels are not equal to any number, they just help you make up words that you can remember the most, 3215 can also be equal to "main delay". (a, e, i, h, o, u, w, y) are ignored when deciphering the word, for example "main delay" contains the following consonants "M+N+D+L" and that's all what you need to get the number 3215. Now following these techniques you can convert longer numbers into words and therefore to something visual you can think and store in your mind which is retrievable more easily. (Continued below...)